30.10.07

The day we met Switchfoot...

It all started last Saturday night...okay, well, the chain of events actually started like 6 months ago, but last Saturday night was Switchfoot's Houston conccert. They're on tour with Relient Kand a band called Ruth. The concert was AMAZING! I don't know about the venue, I kind of like the small, family feel Warehouse Live had, but...the guys of Switchfoot and Relient K made it feel that way anyways.
Ruth started out the show and they were good, but I didn't really know any of their songs, so we just kind of sat and chilled . Now that I've listened to them on Pure Volume I'm a fan. Check them out. So then there was a like 10 minute break and out came RELIENT K! I've wanted to see them in concert for many years. All I've ever seen them play is like one song, so I was pretty excited for this. They played quite a wide variety...let's see if I can remember what they played (they're not in order at all)...Which to Bury, Us or the Hatchet, Sadie Hawkins Dance, High of 75, Give Until There's Nothing Left, Be My Escape, I Need You, The Best Thing, Must Have Done Something Right, Forgiven, Devastation and Reform, I So Hate Consequences, In Love with the 80's(Pink Tux to the Prom), they did a rendition of the Office's theme song...it was awesome, Sleigh ride (yes, the Christmas song...and there was snow!), and they ended the night with Who I am Hates who I've been. They were so good. I can't wait till they come to Houston again! I'm totally going!
Then there were 10 minutes of anxious anticipation...and out came SWITCHFOOT! Even though it was the third time I've seen them, the quality never changes...they were awesome. Let's see...they played...Meant To Live, This is Your Life, American Dream, Oh! Gravity., Awakening, Gone, On Fire, We Are One Tonight, Stars, Shadow Proves the Sunshine, Dirty Second Hands, they called Relient K and Ruth back on stage for a song called "Rebuild" that they wrote specifically for this tour because it was supporting Habitat for Humanity. Shortly after they wrote that song Relient K's bus caught fire and they lost their equipment, and now , while they're on tour, Switchfoot's home town of San Diego is on fire. So, to say the least, the song meant more now then it did when they wrote it. Also, it's just a good song...I had it stuck in my head all day Sunday, but I only knew like 4 words to it. Oh, and maybe my favorite part of the actual concert was right before they played On Fire (when Jon came out into the audience in the section next to us) Jon Foreman was talking on the stage and he was like "So we got the word today that someone flew Oh! Gravity. in space for us? If that's true, I really want to meet that person." Then the rest of the crowd was absolutely silent and I screamed as loud as I could. People just looked at me like I was crazy, but I don't care.
They did do another song, I think it was Dare You To Move, but I wouldn't know, becuase me and my friends were walking around trying to find out where to meet for the MEET AND GREET WITH SWITCHFOOT! We were so excited, we were running even though it wasn't necessary. We ended up sitting in the stands after the concert was over, waiting with some other people. They were taking people in 5 at a time to meet them, so we went the three of us with these two other guys. We were walking to where they were and the leader lady who was taking us there was like "Okay, so I ask everybody this: how did you get the passes?" So I was like "Well, actually...I got Oh! Gravity. flown in space." She was like "Wow, that's definitely unique!" So then we walked through the door and ...*AHHHHH* there they were. Switchfoot. Chad came up to us first and he was like "Hey I'm Chad. So, do have anything you want us to sign?" So I gave them the CD and said it had been in space. He called all the other guys over there and they were like "This is the one! It's been in space! Awesome!" They were so funny. They were touching it like it was holy or something. We were all laughing . It was so cool. Then they brought this video camera out and got it on video! So maybe I'll be on the Switchfoot Podcast! It was a dream come true. Oh, and then we got Andes Mint Shakes from Jack in the Box, so that just added to it.
So now I want to thank you who made this possible, mostly Mr. Forrester. Without you we wouldn't have been able to do this, so thanks! And Switchfoot, y'all are amazing. So here's a compilation of pictures summarizing the night.

Thanks for an awesome time! More posts soon!
Jenna : )

P.S. Switchfoot mentioned this meeting on their tour blog, The Daily Foot. Go to their site, click on the Daily Foot link on the home page, go to the Houston, TX post and read the last paragraph! Bah! That was me and my friends!

No comments: